Behind The Scenes Photoshoot – Cocktail Dress: Renna

Video credit: My boyfriend, Paul

I had so much fun doing this photoshoot for the cocktail dress I made for my first Patterned After post. It was shot by Chris Dinerman in an East Village Apartment.

So it wasn’t a high tech studio and I still like to pretend I am a model.

I enjoy the small things in life

Still working on that jumpsuit and will post shortly. Hint: It’s blue and silky.

Advertisements

Chloe: Eyelet Top

IMG_2983

I made this top awhile ago, and I thought I’d show it while I am in the midst of designing a jumpsuit.

Chloe

I used the camisole pattern from Kwik Sew. The pattern was on bias, but I changed mine to a straight grain.

I added a seam to the back and did a lace up. I just felt like doing a lace up.

I wear this with basic pieces, and I think it would also look great with jean shorts. Summertime fun on the beach.

Blazer: Uni Qlo (last season)

Jeans: Uni Qlo (worn in skinny jeans, but I tell ya, they last)

Shoes: Marc Jacobs (2 years old but I seriously love them)

Top: I don’t have instructions on how to make this because it was before I started this blog. Still a great idea in that you can change a bias camisole into a straight grain, lace camisole.

So Summer-y

 

Cocktail Dress: Renna

DSC_0054 *copy

I was kinda lovin’ the Oscar De La Renta gowns with the high/low hem. That’s when I came up with the idea of having ruffles on the inside of the gown. I wanted to look for a strapless gown pattern with a sweetheart neckline. I found one on Simplicity’s website, Pattern #1606.

Bodice and Skirt

**Please excuse the legs. Quite the lady like look after years of Muay Thai Kickboxing and falling while running. Hence, the scars**

It’s okay that the ruffles weren’t sewn all the way up. The photographer is angling up slightly.  It would be one awkward moment if people actually kneeled down to look up into my skirt.

 The Process

Scan 1

I started with this sketch idea

DSC04516

Found the pattern and cut it out. Lengthened the skirt.

muslin renna

Made the muslin, fit the muslin, changed some details then constructed the dress

simplicity and renna copy

Voila! It isn’t exactly like the original sketch, but it’s very close. Things always change along the way for a number of reasons. It could be technical or aesthetic reasons, but as long as I love the final look, I feel accomplished.

Aside from the obvious differences between the pattern and the final dress -Ruffles, High/Low Hem, Fabric- There were additions to the inside of the gown. The bodice has more structure. I added hymo, siri, interfacing, hard and soft boning. The extra “padding” for the bodice is to create a built in corset so that the dress will stay up on its own. The beauty of creating a bespoke piece is so you’ll feel like a million bucks. That feeling can go a long way when you know everything was constructed to the best of your ability.

I feel like a super star.

______________________

Photo Credit: Chris Dinerman

Birdcage Veil: Self Made

Shoes: Sigerson Morrison (old)

NEXT PROJECT: MINI SKIRT! STAY TUNED